Thursday 17 January 2013

Masters Quarter Final Preview

Following my fairly reasonable attempt at predicting the first round winners (I got 5 out of 8) I've decided to have a go at forecasting the winners of the four quarter finals.So here are my thoughts for what they are worth/.

Neil Robertson v Mark Allen
This one has the potential to be a classic .Robertson produced a stirring comeback on Sunday to beat Ding 6-5 while Allen recorded a comfortable 6-2 win over Mark  Davis. These two left handers have similar strengths in the long potting department and this one might well boil down to this today.My feeling is for all the credit Robertson deserves for comeback against Ding he was still a half inch from defeat when Ding lost position when in the balls.Allen on the other hand looked strong throughout against Davis and I have always felt that this was a tournament that suited him.For that reason I'm going to go for an Allen victory 6-4

John Higgins v Shaun Murphy
This one is a rematch of their encounter last year here which Murphy won on his way to the final but this could be  very different encounter.Higgins this season has been a different animal to the man who was struggling so badly last year and seems to have his confidence back.Murphy of course reached the final of the recent UK Championship so wont be a pushover but I feel Higgins is back playing near his peak again and will win this one maybe 6-3

Judd Trump v Graeme Dott
Both these men came through the first round in deciding frames but in very different circumstances.Trump fought back from 5-3 behind to edge past Hawkins while Dott had to withstand a Maguire fightback having looked comfortable at 5-3 up.The formbook this season says this should be Trump victory but the one thing about playing Judd is you always know you will get chances its a matter of whether or not Dott can take them.If he is on good day he is more then capable of doing so but even taking this into account I still think we are looking at a Trump victory.I'll go for  6-2 win for Judd but I wouldn't be surprised if it's much closer

Mark Selby v Mark Williams
In a first round that seemed to be all about comebacks none were more impressive then Selby's late night ressurection from 5-1 down to beat Stuart Bingham.Williams also completed a comeback of his own winning five frames in a row from 4-1 down to Matthew Stevens. Going on pure form it is impossible to see anything other then a Selby win here by scoreline of 6-3.

Anyway these are my thoughts so feel free to to visit your local bookmakers and have a bet though I must admit I don't have sufficient courage in my convictions to be doing likewise!

No comments:

Post a Comment